Through local community assessments conducted in 2008, libraries throughout California (working on the Transforming Life After 50 initiative) identified a vast interest and potential for engaging the talent and experience of Boomers in volunteer roles that support libraries and their communities.
In response, the Get Involved: Powered by Your Library statewide initiative was launched. Its goals are to:
- Raise awareness about how volunteer engagement can benefit libraries and communities.
- Train public librarians to create diverse and meaningful volunteer positions that attract a a broad range of community volunteers, especially adults.
- Build the capacity of public libraries to effectively recruit and support volunteers.
- Position public libraries as community “hubs” for civic engagement, in partnership with local volunteer recruitment and referral agencies.
- Assist community members in finding volunteer opportunities (in libraries or their communities) that match their individual talents, passions and interests.
Archived Training Opportunities
The following five archived, one-hour webinars can assist libraries in their volunteer engagement efforts. Also see the Volunteer Engagement training curriculum for further insights and resources.
- Overview: Making the Most of your VolunteerMatch Account
- Best Practices for Recruiting Online for Literacy Program Managers
- Engaging Boomers & Skilled Volunteers in your Library
- Attracting Baby Boomers to Volunteer Service
- Getting Others Involved with Your Library